or Antidote to a Stressful Week
In a week where blood, sweat, and tears were spilt, bitter words exchanged, and ideas pulped, I was determined to make a Friday night cocktail to restore balance. The usual ethanol delivery methods felt inadequate, so I thought it necessary to deconstruct the week’s assaults and reassemble them into a bespoke cocktail.
Here’s my cocktail de/construction process:
1. Blood: A mission to the supermarket yielded an unexpected treasure. Blood oranges or Sanguinellos were in season! Blood oranges derive their gorgeous colouring from the purplish anthocyanin, a potent antioxidant. Anthocyanin aids in protecting brain tissue and is anti-inﬂammatory, although I’m not entirely averse to embracing dementia if it comes naturally!
2. Sweat: Yeah, sometimes a musky pong is compellingly attractive. Bring on the liquorice scented Pastis, that armpit of a frenchman! I think Henri Bardouin Pastis is an essential home bar requirement.
3. Tears: Does any herb have a harder time in life than Lemon Thyme? Often mistaken for plain old Thyme, it sheds perfectly-tear-drop-shaped delicately fragrant leaves. Bless.
4. Bitters: Angostura is the default. Stalwart stuff that it is, there are many other options for added bitterness. Like life, it’s an essential ingredient. I like Peychaud’s for its shame-faced redness.
5. Pulp: to add some substance to my restorative cocktail, I’m not sieving the pulp out! A Hawthorn strainer is the spiral wire, paddle shaped bar tool you never knew had a name.
So here it is, by embracing and neutralising all the challenges to a stressful week, we arrive at my new best friend, BOB (Blood Orange Bespoke)
Delicious and Restorative.
BOB- Blood Orange Bespoke
2 oz freshly squeezed blood orange juice
1.5 oz Citron vodka
0.5 oz Cointreau
0.5 oz Pastis
dash of Peychaud bitters
sprig of lemon thyme
Pour all ingredients into a shaker over coarse ice cubes and shake for about 20 seconds. Strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with a blood orange slice and sprig of lemon thyme. Embrace Bob. Cheers!